This is where I disappear

Wreck in the Look

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

This is the second night in a row that I'm eating Seafood Omelette Rice for dinner and it is probably really bad for my system. I feel the fats inching nearer and nearer! And there's no vege! =(

I should somehow figure out a way to cook a big bunch of vegetables that will last me the whole week or at least, half of it.

If the lack of vegetables in my diet sounds horrifying enough, a girl in the Japanese queue redefined the whole meaning of horrifying. I know that karma is going to get me back in some way or the other, but I must say this because it was amazing behaviour. Before she arrived at the scene, her boyfriend was queueing up for her, waiting for his Yakiniku. Upon her dramatic entrance, she projected her voice at least 10m away in a super high upset, teh voice "I WANT CHAWAAANMUSSHIII" and proceeded to laser-glare down her boyfriend with the "AND YOU ARE GUILTY OF NOT ORDERING FOR ME" look. Off with chiur head, it read, with her hands on her hips and her legs sauntering forward. The effect was amazing.

So the good boy ordered chawanmushi for her. Minutes later, our ever efficient Japanese stall service staff whipped out a chawanmushi on the counter, still hot from its steaming. "Be careful, its still very hot" our good man said in Mandarin. Now, our puzzled adolescent stared at the chawanmushi, still mentally figuring out what would be the best way to transfer it onto his tray without burning his fingers to oblivion. And just then, the subject's girlfriend turned on her heel in a sharp 180 degrees turn and strutted off.

I really really have to give the Japanese guy a lot of praise though. Apart from noticing the girl and her boyfriend, I was also noticing him in the way he handled out customer service and I was really impressed.

To start with, I fished out a $50 note from my wallet, expecting a dirty look I always receive when I give big notes. On the contrary, he took it without a word when I expected a grumble, promptly took out the change, and here's the impressive part - he spread out the $10 and $5 Yusof Ishaks perfectly on his hand, with equal distance between each note like a fan. Then, he topped it off with coins and gave it to me with two hands.

In addition, I also noticed that despite his shuttling back and forth between the kitchen, between the front of the shop and cooking, he never gave a single customer an annoyed look even when they look their time to look at their menu before ordering. Finally, when my food came, he put the da-paoed omu rice into the little red plastic bag IN THE CENTRE. Oh my god I wanted to cry in joy. I am sick of people just chucking food into the bag without adjusting it to the centre, resulting in tilted food when you go off, making everything in the container a mess from an earthquake.

And as a final topping, he gave me a smile (:

And get this, he's not even Japanese so there's nothing to justify his politeness. He's from China. Shame on all you lousy service staff.