the memories
The weather's going crazy. It really really is. This is the second time in a row that I have been caught in the rain and it is enough to make me cranky. Time to invest in a bloody umbrella that is not broken, leaking, or ugly.
The past 2 days have been epic on different scales. Let me just talk about yesterday first. Yesterday taught me a lot about people. As I was led to the gathering point for project C.A.N, I had a major deja vu. Standing outside Toa Payoh Central CC, it was like a blast from the past. The hanging out at Macdonalds, the many badminton trips there, the goofing around Toa Payoh in my fitting familiar blue penifo (can't spell!) and white shirt, and last but not least, the horrible memories in how all that ended. In fact, I dreaded stepping into the CC. In the end, I had to force myself in, grabbing the wallet that held my rosary really hard.
And it really didn't help that the gathering point was in the multi-purpose hall. The badminton area we used to frequent. And with everything that has happened, I just ended up sitting there wet from the rain, cold, miserable, and pretty darn scared. Every second I was just wishing that I could get out of there as soon as possible. For the few that know the memories associated with that place, you would understand why I was feeling that way. I think none of you would ever step back into that place ever again.

But let's talk about something else. As I was knocking on every door in Bishan, I was really both touched by the kindness and disgusted by the behaviour of some Singaporeans. I was shocked when people had prepared food beforehand, handing us huge packets of canned food and dried food which had evidently been catered more to the elderly. In addition, some people we met even gave expensive food like Abalone (which was far from expiring!!). Even I do not get to eat abalone! I even met this Philipino family that wanted to specially make a trip to buy things on the spot or give me cash because they were not aware that we were going to pick up the food that day. It was really, really touching. I guess it is true in the newspapers when the conmen say that Singaporeans are very generous. It is a good thing though.

However, I feel it is a pity that I do have to mention that all was not dandy. We encountered people refusing to open their doors, despite knowing that they were at home - either standing behind the peephole, or they can be blatantly seen from their window - and ignoring the fact that we were there, ringing their doorbell and knocking on their doors.
Next comes today.
I felt a tingle of sadness with the closure of my Japanese class. We have been studying together for nearly a 3/4 year so it was really sad to think that we would not be in the same class anymore, with our wonderful 先生。

みんなさん、本当に どおもありがとうございます。
私たちのことはぜたい忘れない!
In short, thank you so much for all the fun memories, the joy, and the laughter. You people certainly made my learning experience so much more fun. (:
And along the way to meet Melvin for lunch and post-lunch activities, I bumped into some LT partners. It was awesome meeting them again. I chatted with the two of them for about 15 minutes before we parted ways, promising to meet up for a movie the following week. And I remember standing there and thinking, life has really changed. I guess my social circle is not as small as it used to be. Which may be both a bad and a good thing. But yes, I really am extremely grateful to Starbucks for changing my life so much.
Oh, and I bought a dress today. Talk about retail therapy.
The past 2 days have been epic on different scales. Let me just talk about yesterday first. Yesterday taught me a lot about people. As I was led to the gathering point for project C.A.N, I had a major deja vu. Standing outside Toa Payoh Central CC, it was like a blast from the past. The hanging out at Macdonalds, the many badminton trips there, the goofing around Toa Payoh in my fitting familiar blue penifo (can't spell!) and white shirt, and last but not least, the horrible memories in how all that ended. In fact, I dreaded stepping into the CC. In the end, I had to force myself in, grabbing the wallet that held my rosary really hard.
And it really didn't help that the gathering point was in the multi-purpose hall. The badminton area we used to frequent. And with everything that has happened, I just ended up sitting there wet from the rain, cold, miserable, and pretty darn scared. Every second I was just wishing that I could get out of there as soon as possible. For the few that know the memories associated with that place, you would understand why I was feeling that way. I think none of you would ever step back into that place ever again.
But let's talk about something else. As I was knocking on every door in Bishan, I was really both touched by the kindness and disgusted by the behaviour of some Singaporeans. I was shocked when people had prepared food beforehand, handing us huge packets of canned food and dried food which had evidently been catered more to the elderly. In addition, some people we met even gave expensive food like Abalone (which was far from expiring!!). Even I do not get to eat abalone! I even met this Philipino family that wanted to specially make a trip to buy things on the spot or give me cash because they were not aware that we were going to pick up the food that day. It was really, really touching. I guess it is true in the newspapers when the conmen say that Singaporeans are very generous. It is a good thing though.
However, I feel it is a pity that I do have to mention that all was not dandy. We encountered people refusing to open their doors, despite knowing that they were at home - either standing behind the peephole, or they can be blatantly seen from their window - and ignoring the fact that we were there, ringing their doorbell and knocking on their doors.
Next comes today.
I felt a tingle of sadness with the closure of my Japanese class. We have been studying together for nearly a 3/4 year so it was really sad to think that we would not be in the same class anymore, with our wonderful 先生。
みんなさん、本当に どおもありがとうございます。
私たちのことはぜたい忘れない!
In short, thank you so much for all the fun memories, the joy, and the laughter. You people certainly made my learning experience so much more fun. (:
And along the way to meet Melvin for lunch and post-lunch activities, I bumped into some LT partners. It was awesome meeting them again. I chatted with the two of them for about 15 minutes before we parted ways, promising to meet up for a movie the following week. And I remember standing there and thinking, life has really changed. I guess my social circle is not as small as it used to be. Which may be both a bad and a good thing. But yes, I really am extremely grateful to Starbucks for changing my life so much.
Oh, and I bought a dress today. Talk about retail therapy.

<< Home