This is where I disappear

Wreck in the Look

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Social experiments

One of the things that is awesome ( I should not be overusing this word ) about studying in public due to my inability to study in sheer ABSOLUTE SILENCE (this is for you, jac) is that I can people watch.

And it always amuses me to no end.

Unconsciously, we actually set up little 'situations' for people in everything we do. For example, If I'm in the lift and someone enters, (and I do believe that this was studied before) there is a 9/10 chance that the person wouldn't give a rat's ass about you and would not say 'thank you' for your often negligible effort of holding the door open for them. Anyway, I'm digressing. So today I was put into an uncomfortable situation of having no nearby power plugs available at starbucks.

Option 1: There was a table just next to the door with a power plug. However, due to my own personal paranoia after getting my phone snatched from my own table before, I refuse to sit there because anyone can run by and snag my bag. Or laptop. And also, there is a 90% chance that I would get a headache after just 10 minutes. It's just too damn bloody glaring. I really should get used to light.

Option 2: a chair at the side but its far away from the power plugs which is at the other side of the room. So if I were to connect my laptop, I'd have a wire cutting the walkway into half.

Obviously I went with 2.

And before I realized it, I had set up a situation for people. Everytime someone walked by I would unconsciously freeze and press down on my laptop in case it got sent flying by lousy person who doesn't look at the floor when he or she walks.

Someone once said to me:

"Why do you keep your head or chin out and stare at the sky?
You'll find bird shit only.
Stare at the floor
And you might find money.
Or, at least you can avoid the dog shit."

So out of the 5 people that walked past, 1 person tripped over the wire and nearly sent my laptop flying across the room. Well, I feel kind of bad for making him trip but hey, at least now I know that 1/5 people don't look at the floor when they walk.

Hmm.

I really need to find better purpose in life HAHAHA.